- MGC Weekend
- Affiliate Council
Frequently Asked Questions
How do organizations become members of the Greek Life Affiliate Council?
The organization may begin the process in two methods:
1) The expansion team from the national organization may contact the Department of Greek Life to request information to expand or re-colonize at Texas A&M. The organization will follow the guidelines and policies as set forth by the governing council in which the organization will reside. The national expansion team for the organization will present to the council and complete the request for expansion process. The governing council will vote to either grant or deny permission to expand. If the organization is granted permission by the governing council, the organization may recruit and initiate new members and elect officers. The officers for the new organization will meet with the Coordinator of Leadership and Community Involvement to begin the colonization process and recognition process. A letterwill be sent to the Department of Student Activities and other key stakeholders announcing the new colony. The organization will be assigned a peer mentor from the Affiliate Council Peer Advisory Board at the first Affiliate Council meeting.
2) The organization may already exist as a recognized student organization and have active members, then the petitioning chapter will request information from the governing council in which the organization wishes to reside. The petitioning organization will complete the expansion request form and present to the governing council. The council will grant permission or deny the request of the organization. If permission is granted the colony or chapter will meet with the Coordinator of Leadership and Community Involvement to begin the colonization process and recognition process. A letter will be sent to the Department of Student Activities and other key stakeholders announcing the new colony. The organization will be assigned a peer mentor from the Affiliate Council Peer Advisory Board at the first Affiliate Council meeting.
What are the expectations of Affiliate Council chapters?
1) Chapters are required to fulfill the colonization requirements as outlined during the initial meeting with the Coordinator of Leadership and Community Involvement.
2) Attend bi-weekly meetings with the Affiliate Council Peer Advisory Board.
3) Support all Department of Greek Life activities and events.
4) Attend governing council events and meetings to become familiar with the inner workings of the governing council.
Why was an Affiliate Council created by the Department of Greek Life?
The development of the Affiliate Council was to meet the increasing need to help educate, train, and support new chapters and colonies that expand to Texas A&M University. The Affiliate Council attempts to aid new chapters and colonies to successfully transition into Greek life.
When may an organization petition to join the Affiliate Council?
Since the Affiliate Council operates on a calendar cycle and has an established curriculum for learning for its chapters, petitions to enter the council are only accepted in February and October every year. The number of chapters allowed to enter the council is dictated by the governing councils and may be a competitive process.
How long may an organization reside in the Affiliate Council?
An organization may reside up to two consecutive years, at which time the organization may re-enter into general student organization status and lose its affiliation with the Department of Greek Life and its governing councils. The organization which reside in the Affiliate Council are encouraged to petition for admittance into a governing council after one year in the Affiliate Council.
While in the Affiliate Council, do I pay dues to a governing council or have to meet governing council meeting and event attendance expectations?
No, the chapter does not pay dues to the Affiliate Council (please reference the governing council’s expectations) nor have to meet governing council expectations, however organizations are encouraged to be mindful that these governing council members will be voting on the organization admittance at the end of the year.
What are the rights and privileges of Affiliate Council chapters?
1) Ability to reserve rooms on campus.
2) Use Greek letters on correspondence and Texas A&M Greek Life logo.
3) Attend council meetings and events.
4) Serve on council committees (however can not vote or chair a committee).
5) Access to services and resources provided by the Department of Greek Life.
6) Ability to utilize the Student Organization Finance Center.
7) Reserve Department of Greek Life resources and included in Greek Life publications and website
8) Obtain wristbands and letters of good standing for TABC.
9) Access to Greek Life staff for presentations and event planning.
10) Help to maintain rosters and grade sheets.
11) Utilize the Greek Life judicial process for Greek chapters.
12) Participate in recruitment activities to the extent the governing council permits